Worship with Us
Sunday - 8:30 am thru Labor Day
The Tenth Sunday After Pentecost
August 13, 2017
Services at 8:30 am ONLY for the Summer
- IntroductionElijah finds the presence of God not in earthquake, wind, or fire, but in the sound of sheer silence. When the disciples face a great storm on the sea, they cry out with fear. Jesus says: “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.” Amid the storms of life, we gather to seek the calm presence of Christ that soothes our fears. In comforting words of scripture and in the refreshing bread and cup of the eucharist, God grants us peace and sends us forth to be a sign of God’s presence to others.
First Evangelical Lutheran Church of Brockton was organized on April 30, 1867 as the First Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of North Bridgewater. Founded by Swedish immigrants, the church was the first religious institution in New England established by Scandinavians.
The sanctuary was erected in 1922-23 upon the site of the congregation’s first church building. The church was designed by architect Charles Coveney of the Boston architectural firm, Brigham, Coveney & Bisbee. This firm also designed the Christian Science “Mother Church” in Boston as well as the Unitarian complex in Fairhaven, Mass. consisting of a grouping of buildings. The majority of the stained glass is of the English Antique painted style and was executed by the studios of Vaughn, O’Neill & Co. also of Boston. The window in the west wall of the tower was the work of the Alfred M. Bell Studio of Boston and is in the laminated opalescent style of Tiffany. This window was restored in 2003. The stained glass in the choir was added in 1971.
The organ is the church’s second instrument. In 1968 the Schantz Organ Company of Orrville, Ohio installed their Opus 824 in the sanctuary replacing the original 1923 instrument which was located on the far left of the chancel. Dedicated on February 25, 1968 the Schantz organ was built at a cost of $50,000.00 in 2008 the instrument was removed, sent back to the Schantz factory and was completely rebuilt and upgraded to include many modern technological features, this was done at a cost in excess of $250,000.00. The rebuilt instrument was re-dedicated on February 1, 2009.
The altar, reredos, pulpit and chancel cresting are of red oak and designed and carved by the studios of Boston sculptor, Angelo Lualdi who also designed and sculpted major portions of the high altar at Washington D.C.’s National Cathedral. The church’s bell is a 1500 pound bell cast by the Meneely Bell Company of Troy, New York and tolls in the key of G. The church building was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, November 29, 1923 by the Archbishop of the Church of Sweden, Nathan Söderblom.
Services are held each Sunday morning at 7:45 am in Christ Chapel and at 9:00 in the main sanctuary—ALL ARE WELCOME!
First Evangelical Lutheran Church is a Gospel-centered community of faith. A regional church, First Lutheran serves communities within a 35-mile radius of the City of Brockton. We are part of the New England Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Shepherds of the Flock
- Henry Oliver Lindeblad 1869-1871
- Anders Hult 1873-1878
- Michael Ulrich Nordberg 1881-1886
- Carl August Johnson 1886-1890
- John Andrew Norlin 1890-1895
- Viktor Nelson Thoren 1895-1901
- J. Alfred Anderson 1901-1909
- Bror Julius Hulteen 1910-1917
- Peter Froeberg 1918-1945, Emeritus 1945-1954
- O. Karl Olander 1946-1951
- Bernard Spong 1953-1957
- Obed Lundeen 1958-1962
- Harris L. Willis 1963-1977
- Michael P. Fruth, Ph.D. 1977-2006
- Kenneth W. Hilston, Jr. 2008-2011
- Mark T. Peterson 2011-2013
- Jeffrey C. Johnson 2015-
- Obed Lundeen 1955-1958
- Elof Nelson 1957-1958
- Merlin Zier 1958-1959
- Sigurd L. Hanson 1958-1968
- Yoshiro Ishida 1961-1962
- Duane (Aho) Westfield 1962-1963
- Gary Harbaugh 1963-1964
- Robert Danielson 1965-1968
- Larry K. Wolfe 1968-1970
- G. Theodore Forsberg 1971-1972
- Leroy J. Broberg 1972-1974
- Dennis P. Kohl 1974-1977
- Kenneth W. Hilston, Jr. 1980-2008